Work & School Life

JMilz

Have things you love/hate about where you work or go to school/university? A favorite subject? Remember to keep things nameless, but we'd love to hear what makes your career unique!

Last edited:

Ashley Marie

Headmaster
Staff member
It's not my career, but I've been volunteering at my son's school a lot this year and I adore it. I love helping kids, it's always been another passion of mine. You never know what people are dealing with at home, so being able to help the kiddos and see them smile during the day is an awesome feeling.

In terms of my career, I'm lucky to work with the team I work for and to be part of this website. I couldn't say enough good things about it.

ScorpiusRose17

I struggle with being an older student. It's hard to find ways to relate to people. For example: we were doing a group project (I was the oldest one in our group by 20+years) and we were supposed to give things that stood out to use from 1980-2017... Well I said Desert Storm and the fall of the Berlin Wall (obviously 911 too). This one girl looks at me and says, "There was a storm in the desert?" I kid you not I was dumbfounded.

It's hard not being able to relate, but at the same time I think it can be a benefit at times too. I am working really hard at school to have my dream job, but currently I am doing online classes because of a medical issue that keeps me from driving right now. It's hard here too because I miss the interaction with others, but being an introvert I can deal with it to some extent.

DobbyMinerva

I'm currently getting my masters and can relate to the odd feeling of returning to school after a few years in the workforce. I love being in school but I also have many moments where I'm like, "why am I doing this?" The academic culture here is very competitive and imposter syndrome is definitely also a real thing. I started teaching this year and I often find myself questioning my own authority when I work with people who seem a lot smarter than I am. But as scary as it can be, people generally appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge, and more often then not, they walk away learning something new. It's a good feeling when you can think, "oh yeah, maybe I do know what I'm talking about."

JMilz

I enjoy my job a lot, but it's a stealth startup so I can't say too much. Working in high-tech is extremely rewarding, but sometimes it is hard being a woman in the industry.