What's your current writing status?

Blue Kat

I have two questions for everyone:
  1. What are you working on writing right now?
  2. How's it going?
Here are my answers:
  1. I'm primarily working on Chapter 12 of my fic Delicate.
  2. Wellllllllllllllll...it's going. I've been working on it since August-ish and it has gone in about five different directions, though I think I have finally settled on the outline of what's actually going to happen in this chapter. The biggest challenge that I've had with it has mostly been figuring plotting out. This is also a bit of a slow burn and it's sometimes hard for me to tell if the fic is doing what it's supposed to do or if I'm trying my readers' patience. Then I start to question everything I'm doing because I worry that people are going to rage quit my fic. That particular concern has come up especially frequently as I've tried to write this chapter.

shotaboy

2. How's it going?
Here are my answers:
  2. Wellllllllllllllll...it's going. I've been working on it since August-ish and it has gone in about five different directions, though I think I have finally settled on the outline of what's actually going to happen in this chapter. The biggest challenge that I've had with it has mostly been figuring plotting out. This is also a bit of a slow burn and it's sometimes hard for me to tell if the fic is doing what it's supposed to do or if I'm trying my readers' patience. Then I start to question everything I'm doing because I worry that people are going to rage quit my fic. That particular concern has come up especially frequently as I've tried to write this chI'm still working on my NSFW harry potter story

JMilz

Head of Ravenclaw House
  2. How's it going?
Here are my answers:
  2. Wellllllllllllllll...it's going. I've been working on it since August-ish and it has gone in about five different directions, though I think I have finally settled on the outline of what's actually going to happen in this chapter. The biggest challenge that I've had with it has mostly been figuring plotting out. This is also a bit of a slow burn and it's sometimes hard for me to tell if the fic is doing what it's supposed to do or if I'm trying my readers' patience. Then I start to question everything I'm doing because I worry that people are going to rage quit my fic. That particular concern has come up especially frequently as I've tried to write this chapter.
Great question!

1. I am working on several projects: Trust, another two-part story called Hell Hath No Fury, my novel, and I recently started doing one short story per week on medium.com (follow me here: https://medium.com/@jheri.l.miller ).

2. All are plugging away well. Some comments about how Hell Hath No Fury is out of character, but it's a small project and not meant to be in character, really. Folks seem to like Trust and my first weekly short story. I need to pay more attention to my novel, but it is fully outlined and I'm making progress.

Blue Kat

Great question!

1. I am working on several projects: Trust, another two-part story called Hell Hath No Fury, my novel, and I recently started doing one short story per week on medium.com (follow me here: https://medium.com/@jheri.l.miller ).

2. All are plugging away well. Some comments about how Hell Hath No Fury is out of character, but it's a small project and not meant to be in character, really. Folks seem to like Trust and my first weekly short story. I need to pay more attention to my novel, but it is fully outlined and I'm making progress.
Wow! I don't know if I could do one short story a week--I'm impressed! What kind of novel are you working on?

JMilz

Head of Ravenclaw House
Wow! I don't know if I could do one short story a week--I'm impressed! What kind of novel are you working on?
Thank you! The novel I'm working on is sci-fi, but it's not really a space opera or anything. A lot of the stories are just flash fiction, but I create writing prompts for myself and put something together using them. Sometimes I just use a random image generator for inspo, sometimes I will use a random word generator and have to use them or find inspo from them. I'll have a friend throw a word at me with a certain number of syllables. It just keeps me thinking to make sure I roll at least SOMETHING out every week.

PH71

2. How's it going?
Here are my answers:
I'd try not to worry about that too much, although it's of course easier said than done. The best advice I could give would be to do what you feel is right by the story and not what you think your readers expect/want to see happen. I think it's easy to over-think things especially if you are suffering from writer's block or figuring out where you want to go with the story, although I must confess I have always subscribed to the Stephen King style of having rough outlines and then seeing where the writing takes me to some extent.

PH71

With regards to the actual thread question:

2. How's it going?

I'm currently working on Chapter 18 of my story Smoke and Mirrors. It's quite an ambitious project, which follows multiple points of view in the aftermath of the events of the Battle of Hogwarts. The main characters are Harry and Ron, although it also follows several fairly "niche" characters in Andromeda Tonks, Hestia Jones, Dean Thomas and Percy Weasley.

I'm sure the multiple point of view and flashback nature of some elements of the story would no doubt put a lot of people off it, but as the story developed I found it difficult not to take advantage of the different points of view and felt invested in the stories I was telling of each of those lesser used characters. It is my job as the writer to ensure anyone reading the story becomes invested in those stories too.

Chapter 18 is a Harry chapter and will feature a Stephen King-esque dream-like interaction with Tom Riddle and then another part where Harry watches on as Gawain Robards interrogates one of the captured Death Eaters, Macnair, for information about one of his comrades that evaded capture following the end of the battle.

I'm looking forward to exploring Gawain Robards as a character throughout the series, as I do enjoy expanding upon very minor characters from the original series. So far I kind of have him down as a mix between Gene Hunt's character in 'Life on Mars' and Jim Hopper from 'Stranger Things'.

I think it's interesting for Harry to watch someone operate in a manner that is a greatly different to how he would typically behave and how say an Albus Dumbledore would handle situations.

I've only done about 250 words at the moment, although I have extensive notes for the chapter and it's got all the makings of a very good chapter if I transfer my ideas/thoughts into a solid 4-5,000 words.

It's the most positive I've felt on the ideas board about a chapter for a while. I'm looking forward to exploring Macnair's character a bit more and to show what his character's motivations and weaknesses are. I have had a minor bit of writer's block in the last few days, although I'm also somewhat giving myself a slight break, as I quite uncharacteristically managed to churn out my last two chapters in the space of the month, with my latest chapter, a 4,000 word Percy chapter getting done in just over a week - which by my usual writing commitments is absolutely crazy, but that particular chapter came out very quickly and very naturally which is always very good.

JMilz

Head of Ravenclaw House
With regards to the actual thread question:

2. How's it going?

I'm currently working on Chapter 18 of my story Smoke and Mirrors. It's quite an ambitious project, which follows multiple points of view in the aftermath of the events of the Battle of Hogwarts. The main characters are Harry and Ron, although it also follows several fairly "niche" characters in Andromeda Tonks, Hestia Jones, Dean Thomas and Percy Weasley.

I'm sure the multiple point of view and flashback nature of some elements of the story would no doubt put a lot of people off it, but as the story developed I found it difficult not to take advantage of the different points of view and felt invested in the stories I was telling of each of those lesser used characters. It is my job as the writer to ensure anyone reading the story becomes invested in those stories too.

Chapter 18 is a Harry chapter and will feature a Stephen King-esque dream-like interaction with Tom Riddle and then another part where Harry watches on as Gawain Robards interrogates one of the captured Death Eaters, Macnair, for information about one of his comrades that evaded capture following the end of the battle.

I'm looking forward to exploring Gawain Robards as a character throughout the series, as I do enjoy expanding upon very minor characters from the original series. So far I kind of have him down as a mix between Gene Hunt's character in 'Life on Mars' and Jim Hopper from 'Stranger Things'.

I think it's interesting for Harry to watch someone operate in a manner that is a greatly different to how he would typically behave and how say an Albus Dumbledore would handle situations.

I've only done about 250 words at the moment, although I have extensive notes for the chapter and it's got all the makings of a very good chapter if I transfer my ideas/thoughts into a solid 4-5,000 words.

It's the most positive I've felt on the ideas board about a chapter for a while. I'm looking forward to exploring Macnair's character a bit more and to show what his character's motivations and weaknesses are. I have had a minor bit of writer's block in the last few days, although I'm also somewhat giving myself a slight break, as I quite uncharacteristically managed to churn out my last two chapters in the space of the month, with my latest chapter, a 4,000 word Percy chapter getting done in just over a week - which by my usual writing commitments is absolutely crazy, but that particular chapter came out very quickly and very naturally which is always very good.
Wow, Smoke and Mirrors does sound incredibly ambitious! I'll definitely have to give it a look!

RDeHwyl

2. How's it going?
Here are my answers:
And my answers are:
1: I just finished uploading my novel-length fic, "Harry Potter and the Philtre of Promise" to the site, and am working diligently on its prequel, "Harry Potter and the Rampage of Ages".
2: Definitely harder getting back into a story that has sat idle for several years. Currently reworking chapter fifteen to include a scene that was in my mind when I first envisioned the novel so many years ago, before continuing from where I left off. One bit of help is needed -- if anyone is fluent in Spanish, I have a character that intersperses bits of Spanish into somewhat broken English and could use some help in assuring that the grammar is correct.

JMilz

Head of Ravenclaw House
And my answers are:
1: I just finished uploading my novel-length fic, "Harry Potter and the Philtre of Promise" to the site, and am working diligently on its prequel, "Harry Potter and the Rampage of Ages".
2: Definitely harder getting back into a story that has sat idle for several years. Currently reworking chapter fifteen to include a scene that was in my mind when I first envisioned the novel so many years ago, before continuing from where I left off. One bit of help is needed -- if anyone is fluent in Spanish, I have a character that intersperses bits of Spanish into somewhat broken English and could use some help in assuring that the grammar is correct.
It's awesome that you picked it back up!

JMilz

Head of Ravenclaw House
Trying to figure out how to continue writing Newt Scamander at Hogwarts. :D
Very cool idea. Sometimes reading other fanfiction, watching unrelated media, or finding writing prompts helps me. Sometimes I'll even just use a random word generator and force myself to write something with all of the words so I am able to put something together.

PH71

Pleased to have finished the editing stage and released the latest chapter in Smoke and Mirrors

The dream chapter didn't turn out quite as I imagined, perhaps sounded better in my head than what I could actually write, but I didn't hate it otherwise I would've just canned it. I think you can only grow as a writer by writing (and reading) so it's a learning curve at least.

I'll probably have a few days off before I look to start writing the next chapter, but I have a brief outline for it. It's my third Hestia Jones chapter and one that I need to get right as she's a reasonably important character to my overall story, but the two chapters I've done for her so far when reading back have felt a little like one-shots that don't hugely link to the rest of the story, so I'm looking to change that. It's one of the possible problems with writing a story from several perspectives I guess, but I'm determined to change that and flesh out her story in the way I've always planned to.