Using These 8 Words - August 2019

Ashley Marie

Headmaster
Staff member
Create a short story ( <300 words) using these 8 words. Bonus points if you can use the first word, first.

Singer, indirect, oppose, umbrella, function, crusade, blade, bubble.

JMilz

The club was dimly lit, though Bellatrix Lestrange would have preferred it to be darker. Her fingertips traced the rim of her drink as she waited for the Minister for Magic, her thoughts drowned out by the hum of the singer onstage.

"Ah, Bellatrix," Cornelius Fudge said, collapsing his umbrella. "To what do I owe the pleasure this evening?"

"Cornelius," she sniffed. "You're late."

"Well, there was a bit of a delay--"

"I don't want your excuses. I want to know if you're going to push the Wizengamot or not. That is why we're here, yes?"

Fudge rubbed his temple. "The problem is that legally, I'm not supposed to push anyone in any direction. What you're asking of me far exceeds the boundaries of my position. You understand my dilemma, I'm sure."

"Cornelius," Bellatrix purred, "you're being indirect. If you have plans to oppose the legislation, it's best you just tell me now. I doubt you'd want a visit from me and my--" She smirked. "--friends."

A waitress stopped by the table with some bubble wine and Cornelius waved her away, his brow sweaty and his chin trembling.

"No need to launch a crusade, Bellatrix. I'll see what I can do."

"Good," Bellatrix said, curtly, reaching down to her ankle. When she brought her hands back to the table, a knife could be seen, glimmering with emeralds and silver. She fingered the blade. "I wouldn't want to have to do things the hard way, Cornelius. You've always been a friend to the Blacks and the Lestranges and I'd prefer it stays that way."

Cornelius's eyes widened. "Yes, I'd prefer that too."

"I'm glad we're on the same page, then. Always a pleasure to see our government function the way it's meant to."

Last edited: