Suggestions for HPFF's Forum

Ronnie Deaver

HPFF Logistical CoFounder
Staff member
Hello! Been noticing that sometimes when I log in, someone else’s account appears! I log out right away, but just thought I’d mention it :)
Hey Theia, Thanks so much for publishing this very serious concern! I messaged you about it privately, but the issue is not a sitewide issue and is unique to your account. We are working on a fix as we speak. Thank you!

I don't know if I'm just missing it, but back in the old days there was a fairly active "Writing Challenges" forum where people could post their own writing challenge prompt, with a deadline, and the prize would be reviews/promo/anything like that. I would love to see that again! I have seen the "monthly writing challenges" but what I am remembering was a forum of challenges made up by members of the community, so there would be several going at a time.

Forgive me if this isn't the right avenue for this suggestion. I'm still figuring out the site!

Theia Luna

I don't know if I'm just missing it, but back in the old days there was a fairly active "Writing Challenges" forum where people could post their own writing challenge prompt, with a deadline, and the prize would be reviews/promo/anything like that. I would love to see that again! I have seen the "monthly writing challenges" but what I am remembering was a forum of challenges made up by members of the community, so there would be several going at a time.

Forgive me if this isn't the right avenue for this suggestion. I'm still figuring out the site!
Yes! I’ve been thinking about this a lot too!! I remember this and it was so fun! It kept a lot of people active on the site, and it wasn’t moderators making the challenge but members themselves. It was super fun to participate and read through!

PH71

Your suggestions have prompted me to start a thread. Enjoy if you wish!

Charlie_Lupin

@Ashley Marie

I have been on here for a while and a few other harry potter cites and I have thought about this that you could maybe do like a small contest. I know we have these things that say like new member or head master also you could add more points system.

Ex:https://forms.gle/UDaMtSPDnsAkGptj8

(that is from WoP. world of Potter a Roleplaying cite. so yea. just some ideas we could do, and maybe the admins could change up the names under profiles )

For ex: Miss Lacy Bee- Best July/August book or something along those lines if you get waht I mean

Ashley Marie

Headmaster
Staff member
I wanted to let you all know we're addressing a point system and such right now. We've been in the works with it but we're trying to roll it out sooner than later - I promise, and I've been keeping an eye on community members so I can keep up with who is commenting where and what it seems like certain people may be interested in and where certain community members may want to lend a helping hand!

We do have writing prompts. I used to list them monthly but we got little feedback on them, so they're more infrequent, but they do exist. They also exist within the schools. You can find them here. You're always welcome (as I've seen some of you do) to start your own threads as well on prompts you'd like to see your community members write about.

As far as a writing challenge with points, I want the system rolled out first so we can commit to it and give members points. That said, we did have a few members write for what I hoped would be our first challenge, so I've read those, kept them in mind, and will award them points once the system is live and then we'll have more activity for members to work with each other.

It's also important to join a school now, if you haven't yet, as a lot of points will tie into the school system!

Thanks, everyone!!

Bookpanda12

I'd love to receive feedback from our new and returning community members.

What do you like about the site? What isn't working as well as you think it could be? Please share your suggestions with me, here.

We want this community to be a place where every single member feels welcome. If you read, if you write, if you're just here because you love Harry Potter and this is your first time stumbling across fanfiction...we want you to want to be with us, and I know that means feeling comfortable.

I look forward to hearing from all of you!
I like everything. Maybe when I click home, it shows the top 15 stories for the week?

oldnumberseven

Would it be possible to have our favorite stories listed to view the same way we can see our own stories on our authors page? Like, numbered, with the Title, and a summary? It’s just that I’ve been looking through them and I’m finding it’s awfully time consuming to click on every single story to find the one I’m looking for, only for it not to be it, go back, automatically get redirected to my page, click back on favorite stories and then repeat the cycle. It just disrupts the flow, I feel?
I will second this - the site used to have the summaries, etc and one of the best ways I discovered stories was by going through my favorite authors/reviewers favorites. It's hard to do that when it's just a list of story titles like it is now - I have no idea what characters, time period, etc the story includes. When I click on the title, I can't see the description in the story detail view, so I have to go to the author's main page to read what the story is about. Rinse and repeat to find something I like, but I usually drop off after awhile because it's time consuming. It would be easier to have all the information up front so I don't have to hunt for it.

Thank you!

PH71

I will second this - the site used to have the summaries, etc and one of the best ways I discovered stories was by going through my favorite authors/reviewers favorites. It's hard to do that when it's just a list of story titles like it is now - I have no idea what characters, time period, etc the story includes. When I click on the title, I can't see the description in the story detail view, so I have to go to the author's main page to read what the story is about. Rinse and repeat to find something I like, but I usually drop off after awhile because it's time consuming. It would be easier to have all the information up front so I don't have to hunt for it.

Thank you!
This is a good idea and very well worded. Would love this.