Stressed, causing Writer's Block

RDeHwyl

To date, I was viewing being housebound due to 'shelter at home" commands in my state as a good thing, as it gave me time to write successfully and post here at HPFF... until the past three days. Now I'm stressed about finding food and toilet paper, stressed about not being able to buy a replacement vehicle for the one that was wrecked by hitting a deer (The Governor says Car Dealerships and used car lots are 'non-essential'), and stressed over incoming bills that are higher than usual -- all of which seem to be blocking whatever creative energies I had. Previously, I wrote about 80,000 words over the past two weeks, but now? Three days worth of writing has only produced about 5,-000 words...and that stresses me too.

Sloane Lloyd

I completely understand your stress. I also once believed that all this quarantine stuff would've actually given me the chance to work on my writing skills and some new fanfiction, but over the weeks, I've become more stressed lately, especially since I have a younger sister who is 1 year-old, and she has always been known to have breathing issues, so if she does get the virus, it could possibly kill her, so it's really important for us to stay away from any society, but my father still has to work since he works in the Department of Finance in the state I live in, so he could possibly bring anything back with him anytime he comes home. Although being able to write more often is great, I've become more stressed than not with all this stuff going on.

pathfinder

I've been where you are @RDeHwyl. I'm not in that zone right now (I actually have been more productive at writing than ever - getting through four new chapters in the last few days.) But I know it will only be a matter of time before I'm back into a rut. What I've found for myself when I'm stuck - staring at the screen and not able to write - is to do the opposite of what I want to do. I get up and walk away from the computer. I go read a book, catch up on 'Better Call Saul', take a walk, or just work to clear my mind and get a new perspective. If you do decide to take a break, rest assured that we'll all be here when you get back. Even if the world's 'house arrest' were to end tomorrow (it won't), we're not going anywhere. After all, it's been nearly a decade since the last movie was released and here we all are...

PH71

It sucks but it does happen. You have to take the pressure of yourself to write and maybe try and find a less "taxing" way of escapism/relaxation in the interim, even if that is just reading rather than writing outright. I've been there trying to break the writer's block by trying to write and for me at least it just doesn't happen whilst I'm really stressed.

JMilz

Head of Ravenclaw House
100% understand. I'm high-risk and live with someone that is exposed all day during work. I'm also going through sort of a strange breakup thing and have to find an apartment during all of this. I've been trying to write, but it really hit out of left field so it's been tough!

Blue Kat

I saw a tweet the other day that said "You are not working from home; you are at your home during a crisis trying to work." I think the same principle applies here: it's okay to adjust expectations during a crisis. Be kind to yourself. <3

RDeHwyl

Thank you, everyone, who has replied -- I wrote the post as a 'rant' to help myself deal with the problem. Sometimes, just having an outlet to complain helps when I feel frustrated with something. Right now, focusing is the real problem -- too many 'real-life' issues are pulling my attention away from writing, so I'll just step back for aday or two more and deal with the 'real' problems first. Then I can get back to what i enjoy...

Ashley Marie

Headmaster
Staff member
I feel this 100%. I've been reading a ton of fanfiction, working on projects for work, and helping my son at school - but my creativity seems like it's fallen a little flat in terms of writing. I have a story I'm working on but it's hard to really tap into it. My son and I are both considered higher risk, we live with someone who is still working during all of this, so there's the fear of exposure and sometimes fear is freakin crippling. I'm glad so many people responded to this thread, and I'm glad you started it. It's nice to be able to open up about some of the things that are hard right now and to know that there's a community where we can rally around one another.

LilyEPotter

I’ve been working on my outline for CTWM for what seems like forever. Though lately I’ve been playing games or running through a language lesson while I work through parts of the timeline that aren’t flowing quite right without much success.

Last edited: