Severus Snape

Elena

Many people hate Snape, but I love him. I think he is not only misunderstood, but not given proper credit for what he did everyday. People fixate on his love for Lily and how he treated students over everything else Snape has done for most of his adult life. Unfortunately, we see the story through Harry's POV and Snape was always supposed to be a sceptical character. How can Dumbledore trust him SO much, when all that Harry sees is how 'bad' Snape is supposed to be?

It isn't till we get to Deathly Hallows though, that it all fits together. Snape's memories are key to his entire character and explains so much about him. It is also the insight Harry needed which inspires him to name one of his sons after him. But what we do learn is that even though the rest of the Wizarding World thought Voldemnort was gone, Dumbledore and Snape worked to protect Harry and prepare for the day he came to Hogwarts. For Snape, the war never ended. He still played the double agent. Always having a foot in the door to both worlds.

Outwardly, he had to portray that he still believed in Purity and favouring his Slytherins - Why? Because people like Lucius were also watching and waiting to see what would happen. Inwardly, Snape was always working with Dumbledore. This is why Dumbledore trusted Snape so much. He put his life on the line every day. He was never able to stop his double spy life to live normally. Snape was never able to properly grieve Lily or even deal with the issues he had as a child being bullied. This in-turn made it harder for him to 'like' Harry (especially because he looked like James), but regardless of this fact, he never once stopped protecting Harry. This is why it comes as a shock to him when Dumbledore revealed that Harry had to die. But right up to his death, Severus did everything he could to protect Harry and help to destroy Voldemort.

Noelle Zingarella

@Lady Plantagenet Severus Snape is my favorite HP character too. @Elena You articulated pretty much all the reasons I love him so well!

Snape's character was actually what got me started writing fanfic. I wanted to write a story--a what if I suppose--where he has the opportunity to have a character arc and get away from the roles that he is trapped in, because it is so sad that he never gets a break through the entire series.