Reader View Problems on iPad

Fuhunter

Hi,

I’m mostly reading story’s on my iPad using the Reader View with Safari. Since last weeks this feature isn’t working anymore on this site.
Sometime after reloading a chapter 20-30x the reader view is available, but most of the time it won’t be available.

Did you change anything that’s messing up with this?

It’s annoying reading without it.

Ronnie Deaver

HPFF Logistical CoFounder
Staff member
Hi,

I’m mostly reading story’s on my iPad using the Reader View with Safari. Since last weeks this feature isn’t working anymore on this site.
Sometime after reloading a chapter 20-30x the reader view is available, but most of the time it won’t be available.

Did you change anything that’s messing up with this?

It’s annoying reading without it.
Thanks for reporting this!! It very likely we made a change that unintentionally affected this feature. If you can, please submit a screenshot of whats going wrong. Otherwise I've added this to our bug report list and we'll look into it ASAP.

Cheers,
-Ronnie

Ronnie Deaver

Staff member
Because lack of time I'm just posting a weblink:

The option to "activate" the reader view is missing when reading a chapter.
Great! We should have a hotfix live by late tomorrow night.

Thanks again for reporting this interesting bug!
-Ronnie

Ronnie Deaver

Staff member
It’s working like a charm!
Just curious, what did you change to make this work again?
Haha I couldn't explain it if I tried.

The original site was 17 years old - as we slowly update it to modern standards we inevitably break other functions accidentally. Thats why these reports are so helpful!

-Ronnie

Ronnie Deaver

Staff member
Don't know if you changed anything in the last 48h, but most of the time it isn't working anymore :/
Yeah, we're looking into it... Unfortunately Apple doesn't make it one hundred percent clear how we can make pages show up in reader perfectly.

Its based on a strange algorithm that factors in page length, page structure, etc. to determine whether the feature will work or not.

All that is to say its a big project and one that will take significant time to puzzle out.

For the forseeable future, I must apologize and say we can't fix this one :/.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it will remain in our backlog for future completion, happy to help again in the future if another issue pops up.

-Ronnie

Fuhunter

Ronnie Deaver

Staff member
Sad Story.

I didn't analyze your site, but here are a few links that should speed up the fix:
Hey, thanks for sharing!

We'll be launching a feature board soon for everyone to vote on what we develop and in what order.

As a larger project/new feature thats more complex than a bug fix, we'll want to add this request to that feature board and see whats most important to everyone for us to develop.

We've made note of it for future development regardless and apologize for any inconvenience.

-Ronnie