Original Characters

harlinquin

Oh I can absolutely love oc's. Like has been said before; it can offer so much more creativity and be a breath of fresh air in this well-known world. But as always they should be well written. As is with most writings. Anyway a fic with an oc that I love is How not to be a Woodley

RDeHwyl

Writing Original Characters has given me a lot of joy over the years, along with a great deal of sadness -- particularly when, after months of creation and learning about the character, my plotting of the story requires me to use the character in a way that wrenches my heart and still, years later, brings tears to my eyes when I reread what I've written. I keep thinking that someday I should write an alternate alternate universe story about the character...

I am a bit cautious about reading stories focused on OCs, because they require much more work than a canon character and some authors don't know how to handle them. However, a well-rounded original character can be the key to a great fanfiction.

Three of my favourite fanfiction have important OCs.
  • Grey Maiden is my favourite using the "Harry was raised by others" trope, Daphne (the OC) is a complex and interesting character.
  • Another interesting one is Tim White from The Super Wizard, he's a Slytherin muggle-born from Harry's year who thought he was a superhero before he received his letter to Hogwarts, developed his "superpowers" to be able to fight crime, and became a local celebrity. Tim is fun and cute!
  • Meet the Lupin's main character is a muggle girl called Caroline Winters, who became best friends with Teddy Lupin. She's a great character as well.
Personally, I never wrote fanfiction with an OC as the main character, but The Others have loads of them since the only character we know that was from Tonks' year is Charlie Weasley. I have an entire document to each of these characters to keep track of things I add about them in the story.

oldnumberseven

Some recent ones I've liked:
Wide Awake by OldNumberSeven (an impressively detailed Marauders/OC)
Strangers At Drakeshaugh by Northumbrian (an interesting next-gen where the OCs are muggles)
I just ... you didn't ... ahhhhh! I did not expect my fic to be in here!!! Thank you so much, especially since the three main OCs are actually based on me at different points in my life. Dramatized of course ;)

I will throw out Reputation by PLUM for everyone to read. 3 well rounded female Next Gen OCs, all different and very interesting to follow through the plot!

Ginny Lovegood

I just ... you didn't ... ahhhhh! I did not expect my fic to be in here!!! Thank you so much, especially since the three main OCs are actually based on me at different points in my life. Dramatized of course ;)

I will throw out Reputation by PLUM for everyone to read. 3 well rounded female Next Gen OCs, all different and very interesting to follow through the plot!
Reputation is amazing! And I think you mean 4... oh an PLUM'S other story Accidentally On Purpose has a great character named Jenelle Clark.

Marley_Malfoy

In my new story I have a custom character she’s a baby ofc and the parents has not decided on a first name, but so far she has a middle name and last name. Her name so far : (First name) Miracle Lupin-Black.
REEEEEE. I think I know what her first name will be, I’ll add it in the next chapter.

I honestly love making OC's and writing them into stories for others to enjoy.
but then there's a preference of mine that i have...i really can't do any x oc or x reader fics in certain fandoms of mine, like HP or PJO, mainly because I can only ever see the characters in my mind with someone canonically (im a multishipper in HP and Solangelo is the best in PJO)
BUT ANYWHORE
I have a story that I thought up over the summer and just started to write and I have it posted, (it might only have two (real) chapters). I feel like a friend group comprised of One person from all four Houses would make for a great team (hence the previous name of The Perfect Team, but now its The Four Horsemen of Hogwarts)

Modest_K

I love making OCs. I prefer it mostly because I don't really like messing with the way canon characters were portrayed (minus next gen because I don't like to think about cursed child lol), and OCs give me a lot of leeway to create personalities and archs and development of my own that don't really change anything we already know and love about familiar characters.
My favorite stories I've read on this site have all focused on an OC:
Not Just a Bystander by AC_rules
Complicated by mymischiefmanaged
And even ones that might include a character we know but still center on an OC shipped with them have been among the best stories I've seen on here, like Keep Away by Mistress

Bookpanda12

I love making OCs. I prefer it mostly because I don't really like messing with the way canon characters were portrayed (minus next gen because I don't like to think about cursed child lol), and OCs give me a lot of leeway to create personalities and archs and development of my own that don't really change anything we already know and love about familiar characters.
My favorite stories I've read on this site have all focused on an OC:
Not Just a Bystander by AC_rules
Complicated by mymischiefmanaged
And even ones that might include a character we know but still center on an OC shipped with them have been among the best stories I've seen on here, like Keep Away by Mistress
Those are good fanfics