I need info from people who have experience with a wheelchair

Pomona Nymphadora Scamander

I am currently writing a story called 'Frozen' and it's about a girl in a wheelchair.

I've already asked a friend of mine, who broke her leg and was in one, last year what it was like just sitting in a wheelchair.

She said it was annoying since she couldn't go inside shops and found it difficult. It isn't too much info though so if anyone has had any experiences with a wheelchair, please feel free to tell me what it was like from your POV whether it be a friend/family member who was in one, or yourself.

I believe this will help the story have better consistency rather than if it only came from a short account and an inexperienced person like me.

~Pomona~

Last edited:
I am currently writing a story called 'Frozen' and it's about a girl in a wheelchair.

I've already asked a friend of mine, who broke her leg and was in one, last year what it was like just sitting in a wheelchair.

She said it was annoying since she couldn't go inside shops and found it difficult. It isn't too much info though so if anyone has had any experiences with a wheelchair, please feel free to tell me what it was like from your POV whether it be a friend/family member who was in one, or yourself.

I believe this will help the story have better consistency rather than if it only came from a short account and an inexperienced person like me.

~Pomona~
There are youtubers called Jessica kelgren fozard and Gem Hubbard wheels no Hells. They’re both wheel chair users with videos on them (I’d start with gem for research personally)

In my experience, my hallways weren’t wide enough for me to wheel myself I had to ask for help or use crutches (which might not be an option), because we knew I’d be in a wheelchair in advance we made the bathroom more accessible ie, bigger shower and hired a shower chair.
Using a chair on a hill is hard work, I wasn’t always allowed to wheel myself up if the incline was really steep.
People stare. Especially if you’re young, you can feel them staring. It’s uncomfortable and you kinda want to ask them what they’re looking at. People will ask intrusive questions especially if you look ‘healthy’
Other people will want to sit in the chair, even if it’s stationary.
I don’t know what your character has to be in a wheelchair but I hope this is helpful
Also it’s really good you’re doing research first it’ll make your writing better and your portrayal more realistic.

Another thing to add is why is your character in a wheelchair? If it’s another medical condition ie, paralysed from the waist down rather than broken leg, it can change things.
If they can stand (as in they’re ambulatory)? If they can, how long? Are there repercussions (fatigue the next day, pain ect)
Do they use other aids? Crutches, leg braces ect.
What do they tell people when they ask why they’re in the chair?
Were they born like this or was it an accident?
Do they have self esteem issues? Or mental health problems?
Lots of places aren’t accessible, how will they navigate hogwarts with its 1000’s of stairs.
Is your character high needs or low needs, if so what are they? (Extra time to write tests, extra time to get to classes, an education assistant, access to a tutor if they miss school)

Sorry if these questions aren’t helpful Looking at disability in media is a passion of mine and there are lots of things to look at.

Pomona Nymphadora Scamander

Another thing to add is why is your character in a wheelchair? If it’s another medical condition ie, paralysed from the waist down rather than broken leg, it can change things.
If they can stand (as in they’re ambulatory)? If they can, how long? Are there repercussions (fatigue the next day, pain ect)
Do they use other aids? Crutches, leg braces ect.
What do they tell people when they ask why they’re in the chair?
Were they born like this or was it an accident?
Do they have self esteem issues? Or mental health problems?
Lots of places aren’t accessible, how will they navigate hogwarts with its 1000’s of stairs.
Is your character high needs or low needs, if so what are they? (Extra time to write tests, extra time to get to classes, an education assistant, access to a tutor if they miss school)

Sorry if these questions aren’t helpful Looking at disability in media is a passion of mine and there are lots of things to look at.
Well, the character has epilepsy and I know that you can sometimes get Tod's paralysis from a seizure. I had to bend this fact slightly since I think the paralysis is temporary and the character has to be in a wheelchair permanently.