How Did You Discover HPFF?

messenger of love

It's so weird for me. I discovered HPFF by chance when I was 12, I don't quite remember how I did or what I was looking for. I read one fic and instantly decided that this was the coolest thing ever. Within half an hour, I had written and posted my own first fic and I was hooked. I wrote more and more, read more and more, and though I didn't realise at the time that chance discovery would end up changing so much for me. Because I was writing so much, even though 95% of it was never posted anywhere, I could see that my own skill with words would increase with every word I wrote, especially in the formative years of my early teens, and each time I wrote I would learn more about myself, really - how I saw the world, how I saw the people around me, how I saw myself. By the time I was in my final year I was top of my year in English and got a scholarship for my English exam, which I attribute almost entirely to how much time I would spend writing and editing and backspacing and writing again. Now I'm studying to be an English major all because fanfiction made me realise how much I love this sort of stuff and how much I want it to be a part of my life going forward. It's just weird for me to wonder if, as a 12-year-old, I hadn't discovered the world of writing, exploring my mind and growing as a person through self-expression, how different I would be now, 8 years later and in a completely new phase of my life. Long story short I really appreciate HPFF lol

Rose Pond

I stumbled across HPFF a few months ago after looking for a new place to share my first Dramione fic (Far From Over (15+ - M), link in signature). I've been working on this story for a long time, with a co-writer when she has time to write, and would love some reviews if anyone has time to check it out. ;) I'd been out of the fanfic game for a while, having written some Doctor Who stuff a while back over on FF.Net and FFO was born out of an rpg challenge on HEXRPG that was never really an rpg, as I simply just have to write more deeply; thankfully my writing partner was totally down with making it into a full fic. Lol. I've found a few great stories on this site, though I don't have a lot of time to read for fun with work and my own story, but I occasionally check out the 'read' link at the top of the site and skim the reviews on other fics to see what others think are excellent stories that I should later check out. :) I was surprised to find out this site has been around for over 10 years! I'm glad it's still up and running and I'm looking forward to checking it out more fully. :)

Ronnie Deaver

HPFF Logistical CoFounder
Staff member
I stumbled across HPFF a few months ago after looking for a new place to share my first Dramione fic (Far From Over (15+ - M), link in signature). I've been working on this story for a long time, with a co-writer when she has time to write, and would love some reviews if anyone has time to check it out. ;) I'd been out of the fanfic game for a while, having written some Doctor Who stuff a while back over on FF.Net and FFO was born out of an rpg challenge on HEXRPG that was never really an rpg, as I simply just have to write more deeply; thankfully my writing partner was totally down with making it into a full fic. Lol. I've found a few great stories on this site, though I don't have a lot of time to read for fun with work and my own story, but I occasionally check out the 'read' link at the top of the site and skim the reviews on other fics to see what others think are excellent stories that I should later check out. :) I was surprised to find out this site has been around for over 10 years! I'm glad it's still up and running and I'm looking forward to checking it out more fully. :)

Closer to 20 years actually, haha! We're slowly bringing it to the modern age. Thanks for being here!

RonsGirlFriday

I found HPFF about a year after DH was published, when I experienced the crazy feelings of loss so many fans did, with no more books to look forward to. I didn't want the story to end and there were so many untold stories within that universe I wanted to explore. I googled, found HPFF, and fell in love. I've been a bookworm my whole life, studied English lit in college, and since the series ended I've obtained a law degree and practiced law for a decade, and to this day HP remains one of the most engaging, profound stories I've ever read, with characters that burrow into your heart and stay there forever.

HP fans in general are a great community because together we keep the story alive and thriving.