How Did You Discover HPFF?

messenger of love

It's so weird for me. I discovered HPFF by chance when I was 12, I don't quite remember how I did or what I was looking for. I read one fic and instantly decided that this was the coolest thing ever. Within half an hour, I had written and posted my own first fic and I was hooked. I wrote more and more, read more and more, and though I didn't realise at the time that chance discovery would end up changing so much for me. Because I was writing so much, even though 95% of it was never posted anywhere, I could see that my own skill with words would increase with every word I wrote, especially in the formative years of my early teens, and each time I wrote I would learn more about myself, really - how I saw the world, how I saw the people around me, how I saw myself. By the time I was in my final year I was top of my year in English and got a scholarship for my English exam, which I attribute almost entirely to how much time I would spend writing and editing and backspacing and writing again. Now I'm studying to be an English major all because fanfiction made me realise how much I love this sort of stuff and how much I want it to be a part of my life going forward. It's just weird for me to wonder if, as a 12-year-old, I hadn't discovered the world of writing, exploring my mind and growing as a person through self-expression, how different I would be now, 8 years later and in a completely new phase of my life. Long story short I really appreciate HPFF lol

Rose Pond

I stumbled across HPFF a few months ago after looking for a new place to share my first Dramione fic (Far From Over (15+ - M), link in signature). I've been working on this story for a long time, with a co-writer when she has time to write, and would love some reviews if anyone has time to check it out. ;) I'd been out of the fanfic game for a while, having written some Doctor Who stuff a while back over on FF.Net and FFO was born out of an rpg challenge on HEXRPG that was never really an rpg, as I simply just have to write more deeply; thankfully my writing partner was totally down with making it into a full fic. Lol. I've found a few great stories on this site, though I don't have a lot of time to read for fun with work and my own story, but I occasionally check out the 'read' link at the top of the site and skim the reviews on other fics to see what others think are excellent stories that I should later check out. :) I was surprised to find out this site has been around for over 10 years! I'm glad it's still up and running and I'm looking forward to checking it out more fully. :)

Ronnie Deaver

HPFF Logistical CoFounder
Staff member
I stumbled across HPFF a few months ago after looking for a new place to share my first Dramione fic (Far From Over (15+ - M), link in signature). I've been working on this story for a long time, with a co-writer when she has time to write, and would love some reviews if anyone has time to check it out. ;) I'd been out of the fanfic game for a while, having written some Doctor Who stuff a while back over on FF.Net and FFO was born out of an rpg challenge on HEXRPG that was never really an rpg, as I simply just have to write more deeply; thankfully my writing partner was totally down with making it into a full fic. Lol. I've found a few great stories on this site, though I don't have a lot of time to read for fun with work and my own story, but I occasionally check out the 'read' link at the top of the site and skim the reviews on other fics to see what others think are excellent stories that I should later check out. :) I was surprised to find out this site has been around for over 10 years! I'm glad it's still up and running and I'm looking forward to checking it out more fully. :)

Closer to 20 years actually, haha! We're slowly bringing it to the modern age. Thanks for being here!

RonsGirlFriday

I found HPFF about a year after DH was published, when I experienced the crazy feelings of loss so many fans did, with no more books to look forward to. I didn't want the story to end and there were so many untold stories within that universe I wanted to explore. I googled, found HPFF, and fell in love. I've been a bookworm my whole life, studied English lit in college, and since the series ended I've obtained a law degree and practiced law for a decade, and to this day HP remains one of the most engaging, profound stories I've ever read, with characters that burrow into your heart and stay there forever.

HP fans in general are a great community because together we keep the story alive and thriving.

RDeHwyl

Discovering HPFF was a happy accident, tied to the soft shutdown of phoenixsong.net due to code becoming outdated. When it became no longer possible to upload new material, I saved what I could from the site and went looking for a new place to post. A Google search for "Harry Potter Fan Fiction" brought this site to my attention, I perused as a guest and enjoyed what i saw, and joined -- so here I am, learning the ins and outs of posting and trying figure out why some things don't seem to work for me. I'm sure I'll get the hang of things eventually, and look forward to a long and happy relationship with the site!

Discovering HPFF was a happy accident, tied to the soft shutdown of phoenixsong.net due to code becoming outdated. When it became no longer possible to upload new material, I saved what I could from the site and went looking for a new place to post. A Google search for "Harry Potter Fan Fiction" brought this site to my attention, I perused as a guest and enjoyed what i saw, and joined -- so here I am, learning the ins and outs of posting and trying figure out why some things don't seem to work for me. I'm sure I'll get the hang of things eventually, and look forward to a long and happy relationship with the site!
Welcome aboard :)

cstringey

I discovered HPFF actually through a class at my University. I used to read a lot of FF when I was younger, but haven't in the past few years and need to review a few sites for my Education class. Harry Potter is one of the biggest loves of my life so it was pretty easy for me when choosing a FF site to choose this one. I really like how organized everything is and find the overall site great and reliable!

I discovered HPFF actually through a class at my University. I used to read a lot of FF when I was younger, but haven't in the past few years and need to review a few sites for my Education class. Harry Potter is one of the biggest loves of my life so it was pretty easy for me when choosing a FF site to choose this one. I really like how organized everything is and find the overall site great and reliable!
If your going to be hanging around, welcome aboard :)

Ginny Lovegood

I found HPFF from my best friend. She was also obsessed with Harry Potter and was looking for a good place to read fanfictions. When she told me about this site, I jumped into action and posted my first fanfiction that now has over 1000 views. I'm a newbie, I came here on my brother's first birthday in 2019, in December. I inspired my two other Harry Potter BFFs to start writing and posting fanfictions. They are Lilly Malfoy and HermioneSmith if you want to check them out.

PH71

Pretty sure it was through somewhere online recommending a reading of Moonlight about 10 years ago.

I hadn't used this site in a long time but when I started writing my FF I thought it was another place to share my work other than on regular FF site.

I think this place feels more like a community than the FF site. I try not to get too caught up in views/reviews, but I don't think it's a coincidence I've had about 3 times less views of my story on here than FF but just as many, if not more reviews/positive comments. Some of my nicest/most motivating reviews have come on this site.

Charlie_Lupin

I have found this 3 years ago when I fell in love with a series. I was too scared to make an account but now I did. I am currently working on my FF and you can find it under, FF help or whatever the forum was. I love showing my writing skills that I have learned over my years of things and I'm glad I have this account now!

I did a Harry Potter writing camp (There's a story I'm writing that was the story from the camp called Sunset dawn and in between) and she talked about a good website (this one) my teacher recommended. I sounded like Yoda I did