How Did You Discover HPFF?

Ashley Marie

Headmaster
Staff member
We'd love to hear more about how you stumbled upon HPFF for the first time. What initially brought you to our community? Do you remember the first fanfiction you posted on the site? Do you remember your first review on a story? What about HPFF has kept you coming back? We want to know more about our users and that means knowing more about you as individuals. Share your stories with us!

Elena

It was in 2006 and I had just finished reading Half-Blood Prince. I was so angry that Hermione and Ron were not together yet and I needed some kind of a fix. I searched fan fiction and came upon HPFF. I started reading Ronmione fics, but then was intrigued by all the Dramione stories. This ship had NEVER crossed my mind. I read a few and my first thought was "Ewww, no way!" But then as I kept reading, I fell in LOVE with these characters.

After a while, I wanted to try my hand at writing, to see what I could do with these characters and write a story that I'd love to read. A New Life for Hermione (M) was born. I never got to write it's sequel, but this story is the one I favour the most. From there, I also fell in love with Draco/Ginny, Ron/Pansy, Snape/Lily, Sirius/Lily and many other pairings.

I keep coming back to Fan Fiction because HP dominates my world. My other obsessions are books, music, and TV shows (Gilmore Girls, Buffy). I also do HP related crafting (knitting and crochet) as well as other fandom crafting.

Ashley Marie

Headmaster
Staff member
It was in 2006 and I had just finished reading Half-Blood Prince. I was so angry that Hermione and Ron were not together yet and I needed some kind of a fix. I searched fan fiction and came upon HPFF. I started reading Ronmione fics, but then was intrigued by all the Dramione stories. This ship had NEVER crossed my mind. I read a few and my first thought was "Ewww, no way!" But then as I kept reading, I fell in LOVE with these characters.

After a while, I wanted to try my hand at writing, to see what I could do with these characters and write a story that I'd love to read. A New Life for Hermione (M) was born. I never got to write it's sequel, but this story is the one I favour the most. From there, I also fell in love with Draco/Ginny, Ron/Pansy, Snape/Lily, Sirius/Lily and many other pairings.

I keep coming back to Fan Fiction because HP dominates my world. My other obsessions are books, music, and TV shows (Gilmore Girls, Buffy). I also do HP related crafting (knitting and crochet) as well as other fandom crafting.
This is awesome! I'm so excited to hear the stories that brought our community members to us. It's also awesome that you fell in love with Dramione through stories here, I read my first Dramione story on HPFF too, it's my favorite shop now. I can't wait to read more of what you wrote.

JMilz

I actually didn't know this existed before the shutdown. I hadn't written fanfiction in over 10 years, but I did remember not liking FFN that much. (I tend to cross-post but FFN just feels a bit overwhelming sometimes.) I went looking for a smaller fanfiction community and stumbled upon this one!

maraudeer

I discovered the site around two years ago, having never even read fanfiction before. I've loved Harry Potter since I was a kid, and originally was looking to read next-gen because I was looking for something that felt like a continuation of the series. Since, then, however, I've read lots of different eras and types of stories and I felt very inspired to write my own! I kind of took a break after the site shut down and didn't realize it was back up until I went searching for harry potter fanfiction again last fall. It's started to mean even more to me since finding the site again because I found all my favorite stories that I didn't think I would get to read again!

Blue Kat

I've been reading/writing fanfic on and off for 15+ years. I think I must have stumbled upon HPFF at some point during that time because stuff like the Dobbys was familiar to me, but I don't actually recall using the site until last year. The sequence of events is a little fuzzy, but I think I found it a few weeks before the shutdown, tried to find it again after the shutdown, somehow found out about fanficrecs where I then saw the notice about the new ownership. I'm a librarian and one of my favorite things is reader's advisory, so I was glad to see something like that happening for fanfic through fanficrecs because it's something I have some professional interest in. After reading through the site and some of the info about new goals for HPFF, I was really impressed by the mission articulated by Gwen and Ronnie. I spent a lot of my teenage years and early twenties grappling with several chronic illnesses and fanfic was my lifeline through a lot of that journey. Seeing a similar experience not only described by someone else, but serving as the impetus for developing fanficrecs and then taking on the challenge of reviving HPFF made me think that this was a community that I wanted to be involved in.

bri_5_stars

Long ago in 2010ish, I stumbled my way from the juvenile fanfics of Quizilla and found the original haven of HPFF. Perfect! It was just the place for my introverted self to post my first fanfic a very bad Draco/OC from America story. I'd just graduated high school and had a falling out with all but one of my friends and so I kind of dived right into writing my own fanfics and slowly started posting them, and some actually gained a bit of traction. Then I discovered the forums and boy did my world change! The community was really something else and I hated to pull myself away, full of nerdy, supportive and creative people. I loved the challenges and April Fools pranks and the NaNoWriMo hangouts that really helped me actually finish twice. I love this place and I'm so happy that its back.

Llysh

Back in 2010, I accidentally came across the general existence of fanfiction just because I googled Harry Potter which fanfiction came along with it. I was mind-blown reading stories by fellow HP lovers on another writing site. I had looked to see if there were more similar sites that had HP fanfiction, and HPFF was among them - and it was solely for Harry Potter - a big plus! I had signed up right away. From then, I had went from a member lurking in the shadows to a participating member, a prefect, then a staffer. It was home outside of my real life home. It was the one place I'd turn to when I needed to escape life. I didn't imagine ever seeing this site up and running again. It's beautiful to me seeing HPFF in its novelty and thriving once more!

Last edited:

Ashley Marie

Headmaster
Staff member
I actually didn't know this existed before the shutdown. I hadn't written fanfiction in over 10 years, but I did remember not liking FFN that much. (I tend to cross-post but FFN just feels a bit overwhelming sometimes.) I went looking for a smaller fanfiction community and stumbled upon this one!
So glad to have you here, and so grateful for your work and input already! Can't wait to see what the future holds.

Ashley Marie

Headmaster
Staff member
I discovered the site around two years ago, having never even read fanfiction before. I've loved Harry Potter since I was a kid, and originally was looking to read next-gen because I was looking for something that felt like a continuation of the series. Since, then, however, I've read lots of different eras and types of stories and I felt very inspired to write my own! I kind of took a break after the site shut down and didn't realize it was back up until I went searching for harry potter fanfiction again last fall. It's started to mean even more to me since finding the site again because I found all my favorite stories that I didn't think I would get to read again!
I'm so glad the stories are here for you again. I love seeing the connection some of you had with the site before and I hope the one you build again is even stronger!

Ashley Marie

Headmaster
Staff member
I've been reading/writing fanfic on and off for 15+ years. I think I must have stumbled upon HPFF at some point during that time because stuff like the Dobbys was familiar to me, but I don't actually recall using the site until last year. The sequence of events is a little fuzzy, but I think I found it a few weeks before the shutdown, tried to find it again after the shutdown, somehow found out about fanficrecs where I then saw the notice about the new ownership. I'm a librarian and one of my favorite things is reader's advisory, so I was glad to see something like that happening for fanfic through fanficrecs because it's something I have some professional interest in. After reading through the site and some of the info about new goals for HPFF, I was really impressed by the mission articulated by Gwen and Ronnie. I spent a lot of my teenage years and early twenties grappling with several chronic illnesses and fanfic was my lifeline through a lot of that journey. Seeing a similar experience not only described by someone else, but serving as the impetus for developing fanficrecs and then taking on the challenge of reviving HPFF made me think that this was a community that I wanted to be involved in.
Your writing is incredible, and I'm glad the mission means something to you. Fanfiction is a wonderful realm of writing and we hope to put it in front of as many people as possible. All of you help make that happen!

Ashley Marie

Headmaster
Staff member
Long ago in 2010ish, I stumbled my way from the juvenile fanfics of Quizilla and found the original haven of HPFF. Perfect! It was just the place for my introverted self to post my first fanfic a very bad Draco/OC from America story. I'd just graduated high school and had a falling out with all but one of my friends and so I kind of dived right into writing my own fanfics and slowly started posting them, and some actually gained a bit of traction. Then I discovered the forums and boy did my world change! The community was really something else and I hated to pull myself away, full of nerdy, supportive and creative people. I loved the challenges and April Fools pranks and the NaNoWriMo hangouts that really helped me actually finish twice. I love this place and I'm so happy that its back.
Thanks so much for being with us again! I hope this community manages to be something important to you again, and thanks so much for sharing your work on our site. I'm so proud of all of our writers, the fanfiction hosted here is incredible!

Ashley Marie

Headmaster
Staff member
Back in 2010, I accidentally came across the general existence of fanfiction just because I googled Harry Potter which fanfiction came along with it. I was mind-blown reading stories by fellow HP lovers on another writing site. I had looked to see if there were more similar sites that had HP fanfiction, and HPFF was among them - and it was solely for Harry Potter - a big plus! I had signed up right away. From then, I had went from a member lurking in the shadows to a participating member, a prefect, then a staffer. It was home outside of my real life home. It was the one place I'd turn to when I needed to escape life. I didn't imagine ever seeing this site up and running again. It's beautiful to me seeing HPFF in its novelty and thriving once more!
So happy to have you here with us again, and the home away from home is an important feeling. I hope to build that type of community again.

Blue Kat

Your writing is incredible, and I'm glad the mission means something to you. Fanfiction is a wonderful realm of writing and we hope to put it in front of as many people as possible. All of you help make that happen!
This was just very uplifting and lovely reply to read after a very long day at work. Thank you for all that you do!

ScorpiusRose17

I stumbled onto HPFF awhile back... I can't even remember the year that's how long it's been. I was brought to the community because I wanted to read more Harry Potter stories because the others had ended. The first Fanfic I posted was a Wedding Story about Scorpius and Rose. It was slightly popular, but that started my love of the ship. I don't really recall the first review I had gotten, but I believe it was positive. Either way I was excited that anyone would leave me a review at that point let alone read the story too! :) I have been back to HPFF on and off over the years because I truly enjoy the stories, leaving reviews and writing. I would love to get back into writing again as a way to help me deal with personal issues I have been struggling with.

Gilwen

Hi, I'm Gilwen aka Gee.
I discovered HPFF in 2007 as iellwen, avid Potterhead looking for more stories. I first read, discovered Dramione and wrote my first fanfic entitled "Closer in Winter". It. Was. Terrible. But a lot of fun to write. Draco was plagued with a schizophrenia-like Dark Soul, Hermione was the only one that saw through his terrible behaviour and saw the pain and fear he was trying to hide, they were both Heads and shared a Dorm, so obviously they got closer (in winter) to each other and no one understood their love but it didn't matter because they had each other. Etc. Not canon at all and cliché, even back then, but as I said, fun to write.
I changed my pen name in 2014 or 2015 and reposted a few things as GailWelin (an anagram), had fun participating in challenges of all kinds, kept writing Dramione ships and discovered my love for the (albeit) horrid McGonagall-Snape pairing (coined Snagall by a fellow HPFFer at the time) in a sci-fi AU short-story.
I think the first review I ever posted was something along the lines of "OMG this was soooo good pls keep writing OMG!"?
HPFF was my second home, a safe place filled with like-minded people and I made a lot of friends here, played Quidditch, loved my Prefect badge, felt good. I'm back because I swore I would come back to the forums if they opened again. It took me a little while (because, life.) but honestly, it's good to be home.
I've been out of the HP fanficition world since the forums closed, so I have a lot of catching up to do :)

Ashley Marie

Headmaster
Staff member
I stumbled onto HPFF awhile back... I can't even remember the year that's how long it's been. I was brought to the community because I wanted to read more Harry Potter stories because the others had ended. The first Fanfic I posted was a Wedding Story about Scorpius and Rose. It was slightly popular, but that started my love of the ship. I don't really recall the first review I had gotten, but I believe it was positive. Either way I was excited that anyone would leave me a review at that point let alone read the story too! :) I have been back to HPFF on and off over the years because I truly enjoy the stories, leaving reviews and writing. I would love to get back into writing again as a way to help me deal with personal issues I have been struggling with.
Hey,

We're so glad to have you with us again and your passion for writing, reading, and leaving reviews is part of what makes this site so great. Thanks for being so encouraging. It'll be awesome to revamp this forum and see what we can do with it!

Last edited: