Fleeting Ideas

Ashley Marie

Headmaster
Staff member
One of my biggest gripes with fanfiction writing is that my ideas can be so fleeting. One day I think I'll have the greatest idea for a story, the next...it's gone. It's either an idea I couldn't flesh out enough, an idea that sounded good one day but - after sleeping on it - sounded awful, or just something I can't write about the way I hoped to. Sometimes, I try to work through this, but that doesn't always happen. I've got a list of abandoned stories that held so much promise...it can really bum me out.

What do you do when your incredible ideas seem less incredible the next day?

Blue Kat

Honestly, sometimes just putting the idea away for a little while and coming back to it later can really help. One, it can give you perspective, and two, sometimes an idea just needs time to percolate. The 20+ chaptered fic that I'm working on started out with a conversation between an unnamed original character and Fred Weasley that I had absolutely no idea what to do with. I liked the character and I liked how she interacted with Fred, but I didn't have a plot to go with it and I didn't think I could even come up with anything. I saved it in my untitled ideas folder where it sat for like...6 years, probably. When I reopened it again, I realized that it would work well with another idea that I'd been kicking around.

JMilz

Head of Ravenclaw House
One of my biggest gripes with fanfiction writing is that my ideas can be so fleeting. One day I think I'll have the greatest idea for a story, the next...it's gone. It's either an idea I couldn't flesh out enough, an idea that sounded good one day but - after sleeping on it - sounded awful, or just something I can't write about the way I hoped to. Sometimes, I try to work through this, but that doesn't always happen. I've got a list of abandoned stories that held so much promise...it can really bum me out.

What do you do when your incredible ideas seem less incredible the next day?
Oh yes, I've been a victim of this. I usually scribble a note and sit on my idea for at least two weeks before starting. If it still sounds good by then, I'll write an outline. If the outline goes smoothly, then I'll start on it.