Fantastic Beast Franchise - What do you think of it?

PH71

I think I've posted my thoughts on this before in another thread, but I think overall it's a real missed opportunity and they've not really done that well with it.

Fantastic Beasts the first movie in my opinion should have just been a one-off. Scrap the bit where Grindelwald Depp is revealed to have been Colin Farrell the whole time and it's a really fun, reasonably well done little mystery movie with some cool beasts, nifflers etc.

The problem they've got now is they're trying to shoe horn in Fantastic Beasts into its own series set around Grindelwald vs Dumbledore, but neither of them are really the main character of the story, Newt is. And they're shoe horning all of the beasts into it too to make it tie in with Fantastic Beasts and throwing in characters like Jacob who don't really have much business being in the movie.

I think they should have just had Fantastic Beasts as a one-off movie, and then if Dumbledore vs Grindelwald is the story they want to tell with the rest of the movies, then tell that story. It's a good story to tell, it's certainly better than the Crimes of Grindelwald movie that we got.

They should've had:

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (it's own thing)

Albus (This film centres around young Dumbledore at Hogwarts, growing up boy genius, then in the middle of the film has the tragedy of his Mum dying and then his Dad getting arrested after the Muggle boys mess with his sister. His world-wide travel plans are cancelled. Picks himself up by making friends/falling for Grindelwald. Film ends when they have the fall out with his brother and his sister dies in the battle.)

The Rise of Grindelwald (Grindelwald amasses his army, Dumbledore has to find himself and get over the heart-break of his sister dying and his brother hating him. Maybe you even throw Newt back in at this point as a cool cameo. They have a big battle towards the end and Dumbledore takes a big loss.)

The Return of the Dumbledore (Basically Dumbledore finally defeats Grindelwald, lots of other stuff you can throw in there but that's the main plot line).

Instead we're basically going to get that, with loads of other stuff thrown in and in the way as well as the casual audience missing out on the Dumbledore/Grindelwald backstory and even really Dumbledore's backstory so nobody even really cares too much about it anyway.

Ginny Lovegood

I think I've posted my thoughts on this before in another thread, but I think overall it's a real missed opportunity and they've not really done that well with it.

Fantastic Beasts the first movie in my opinion should have just been a one-off. Scrap the bit where Grindelwald Depp is revealed to have been Colin Farrell the whole time and it's a really fun, reasonably well done little mystery movie with some cool beasts, nifflers etc.

The problem they've got now is they're trying to shoe horn in Fantastic Beasts into its own series set around Grindelwald vs Dumbledore, but neither of them are really the main character of the story, Newt is. And they're shoe horning all of the beasts into it too to make it tie in with Fantastic Beasts and throwing in characters like Jacob who don't really have much business being in the movie.

I think they should have just had Fantastic Beasts as a one-off movie, and then if Dumbledore vs Grindelwald is the story they want to tell with the rest of the movies, then tell that story. It's a good story to tell, it's certainly better than the Crimes of Grindelwald movie that we got.

They should've had:

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (it's own thing)

Albus (This film centres around young Dumbledore at Hogwarts, growing up boy genius, then in the middle of the film has the tragedy of his Mum dying and then his Dad getting arrested after the Muggle boys mess with his sister. His world-wide travel plans are cancelled. Picks himself up by making friends/falling for Grindelwald. Film ends when they have the fall out with his brother and his sister dies in the battle.)

The Rise of Grindelwald (Grindelwald amasses his army, Dumbledore has to find himself and get over the heart-break of his sister dying and his brother hating him. Maybe you even throw Newt back in at this point as a cool cameo. They have a big battle towards the end and Dumbledore takes a big loss.)

The Return of the Dumbledore (Basically Dumbledore finally defeats Grindelwald, lots of other stuff you can throw in there but that's the main plot line).

Instead we're basically going to get that, with loads of other stuff thrown in and in the way as well as the casual audience missing out on the Dumbledore/Grindelwald backstory and even really Dumbledore's backstory so nobody even really cares too much about it anyway.
Fair enough. I admit that some of your arguments are valid, though I don't agree with you, I see your point.