Exploring New Genres

JMilz

Head of Ravenclaw House
Exploring new genres can be a great way of growing as a writer. Unfortunately, some genres are harder than others.

Personally, I find sci-fi and forensics-driven crime to be the most difficult, as I feel compelled to have somewhat scientific explanations for things.

What genres do you think are the easiest? The hardest? What tips do you have for writing new genres?

shotaboy

Exploring new genres can be a great way of growing as a writer. Unfortunately, some genres are harder than others.

Personally, I find sci-fi and forensics-driven crime to be the most difficult, as I feel compelled to have somewhat scientific explanations for things.

What genres do you think are the easiest? The hardest? What tips do you have for writing new genres?
I never explored new genres

JMilz

Head of Ravenclaw House
I never explored new genres
What genre do you usually write? Maybe start by adding another genre component to that. So if you write romance, maybe add adventure, since those things are easy to mix.

JMilz

Head of Ravenclaw House
can you help me with that
Why don't you just start with Neville helping your character in Herbology and then come up with a reason that they might have to go on a road trip of some sort! Maybe they need a special plant that they can only get in Belgium, but they can't Apparate or get a Portkey so they have to steal one of the thestral-drawn carriages to get there.

shotaboy

Why don't you just start with Neville helping your character in Herbology and then come up with a reason that they might have to go on a road trip of some sort! Maybe they need a special plant that they can only get in Belgium, but they can't Apparate or get a Portkey so they have to steal one of the thestral-drawn carriages to get there.
how can I start it off

Kamiccola

I think you definitely should try new genres. It expands your writing skill and can help generate ideas when you feel stuck. The best way to get into a new genre is to read in that genre. Read, read, read.

I find fantasy, mythology and paranormal genres the easiest because I can do whatever I want - though I always impose rules.

I find realistic fiction challenging because fantasy elements are not allowed. How can you write characters that don't possess any powers? That's just so... realistic. Might as well write nonfiction.

Recently, I tried a neovictorian steampunk fantasy (for a Carnival Row fanfic) - I definitely felt out of my comfort zone there. I need to read some more of this genre to see what people do with these settings if I ever want to finish that book.

This October, I wrote a bunch of Halloween-themed short stories and it was my first time trying to write horror. And I discovered that I can write things that are disturbing af. I never knew I had it in me.

And now, I'm diving into a brand new subgenre arcanepunk. Think steampunk but instead of steam - magic. This one is for an original book and I'm beyond excited about it.

Kamiccola

And then what
It’s called a prompt. You take it and see where it takes you. For example,

Neville ran into the Great Hall and wheezed to them, “The courtyard.” He tried to catch a breath. Hs eyes were wide with excitement. “You gotta see this... now.”

Harry and Ron exchanged a confused look but left as ordered, curious what might have gotten him riled up.

@shotaboy - continue.