Culture

JMilz

Head of Ravenclaw House
Is there something unique about your culture that you'd like to share? An awesome tradition or food that you think the rest of the world needs to know about? Share it with us!

Ashley Marie

Headmaster
Staff member
I'd love to see this thread built up too. I'm so curious to know what's close to the hearts and culture of our forum community!

JMilz

Head of Ravenclaw House
I'm from Michigan originally so back home we boat a ton and catch and fry our own fish - mostly walleye. I currently reside in Colorado and we put green chiles on EVERYTHING. A lot of people love Colorado and it's been fun for a while but I'm ready to get back to my roots and get on the water.

Tiffany1567

I like the culture from Japan, it's so polite and nice, and it's hard to describe because I assumed the place I grew up was sweet and polite but Japan changed my mind about that. They are very courteous towards others, they wear masks while their sick as not to spread their cold, they clean up after themselves even in public places, they don't catcall or get into your personal space, and they don't treat their retail and customer service badly. I wish the US would adopt this.

Charlie_Lupin

I'm from Ireland and where mostly a lot of brunettes here. I have seen a few red heads. The streets are clam and neighbors are nice. I used to live in the city part of Ireland, but I currently live on a big land in the middle of nowhere XD. I go to the farmers market to sell food, since I have a small orchid. It's most just me, my fiance and my ferrets these days. The US has a lot of debt.....but anyway, Texas is horrible currently since according to my cousin and they are forced to wear masks now and won't let people into stores with out one. About time TX did something. Ireland is very kind as well. Most of us have thick accents. I have a small accent here and there.

Ginny Lovegood

I'm from Big City New York. Been here since I was 1, and though I was born in Switzerland, I am not Swiss. I come from Canada, Haiti, and Cameroon, all places I'm very proud of, as Haiti used to be a refuge for slaves, an escape, Canada has a lot less racism than the US, and Cameroon fought for France in WW2 (though they were colonized at the time, so they didn't exactly have a choice). I love living in NYC though, even though when I tell new people in Canada that they always say "Wow, are you rich?" When I'm not. Just a normal person! (with a little insanity)

PH71

I like the culture from Japan, it's so polite and nice, and it's hard to describe because I assumed the place I grew up was sweet and polite but Japan changed my mind about that. They are very courteous towards others, they wear masks while their sick as not to spread their cold, they clean up after themselves even in public places, they don't catcall or get into your personal space, and they don't treat their retail and customer service badly. I wish the US would adopt this.
I'm from the UK and this is pretty much exactly what I came away from Japan feeling like.

I'm Korean, but I have lived in America all my life. The best thing about Korea is the stationery, the clothes, the food, and the dramas.

1. Korea. Has. The. Cutest. Stationery. Ever. Ok, maybe it competes with Japanese stationery, but nevertheless, it's always so fun to go shopping there. They have the best paper, pencils, ink, journals, sketchbooks, pens, pencil cases, cards, letter-writing things, yeah, you get my drift. Just look at this link, https://notebooktherapy.com/ , and tell me that that it does not have the cutest things EVER.

2. Cloths. Wow. Lemme tell ya, children, KOREANS. DRESS. WELL. Whether it's winter, spring, summer, fall, whether it's sweatshirts, sweaters, shirts, jeans, leggings, socks, shoes, coats, ect. They have an eye for style.

3. FOOD. OH. MY. GOSH. Korean food is the best. Tondak, kimchi, bulgogi, sulangtang, dejigogi, everything is MOUTHWATERING. All of ya'll have to try it!

4. Korean dramas. YES. PLEASE. I have grown up watching Korean dramas my entire life, whether it is set in Korea centuries ago or in modern day Korean. I'm an incurable romantic, and Korean dramas have the best romances EVER. Please let me make some reccommendations!!! Most of these are on Netflix.com, Viki.com, or OnDemandKorea.com. Anyways, please try watching one of them. Seriously, just watch through subtitles.

-My Love From The Stars: WOW. I loved this one. Both of the leads are GORGEOUS, and yes, it's the tiniest bit sci-fi, but there's not a lot of that. Just get over the first episode, and it's super funny and cute.

-Goblin: The Great And Lonely God: Ok, if you are religious, you might not like this thing. If you aren't religious, you might not like this thing. My family is religious, ( Shoutout to my Christian friends who are enduring through this corona situation, and to those who aren't Christian ) but we were ok with watching it. Nevertheless, it pictures God as a cruel and merciless butterfly. Ludricrous, yes, but the romance is OH SO GOOD, and the second leads are amazing. Anyways, just get over the first episode, and it's OK. It's a bit gory, but most of ya'll should be ok with that.

-Chicago Typewriter: This is one of my personal favorite. Yes, it might not be flattering at all to some of ya'll when the male lead is kinda bald, but. just. trust. me. on. this. It has a lot of ideas about "the next life" which is not heaven, it's where people are reborn into the same world after death. This is a bit gory on this, but I love it.

There's also a bit of history around this: before and during World War Two, there was a time when the Japanese colonized the country of Korea. In that time, Korea was not a free country, and its history was wiped away by the Japanese. The Korean language was forbidden and only the Japanese language was allowed, Korean books were burned, and Korean names were replaced with Japanese names. The Korean king became a puppet king to Japanese officials, and Japanese soldiers were stationed everywhere. But I am proud to say that many were brave enough to stand up and begin a Resistance. This began in many ways: Korean dictionaries started to secretly print, Koreans who were hired by the Japanese became spies, and people, including women ( YASSS, WOMEN ARE THE BOSSES ) started to raid Japanese headquarters. But it was a bloody, gory period in Korea. Thousands were killed for just wanting to be a free country, and to this day, the Japanese are both too ashamed and proud to admit that the whole darn thing ever happened. They refuse to admit that they tortured anyone who resisted for hours and hours, refusing to hand them over to Death, so that they would suffer more and the chances of them betraying secrets for their own wellbeing would increase. The Japanese refuse to teach this to their children, and even in Korea's government today, there's a lot of tension between Korean and Japan.

Anyways, it's set in both that period and the modern world. Complicated, but you'll get it.

-Mr. Sunshine: THIS ONE IS PURE GOLD. One of my other favorites. It's set in the World War Two setting of Chicago Typewriter. Five main characters, and I honestly can't choose which one is my favorite. Basically, it's a girl that has been overprotected by her grandfather because of the tragic and bloody deaths of her parents. She wants to be more aware of the changes going on outside her home, and wants to fight in the Resistance. Please please please tell me who you ship in this drama. It will be a fun convo.

5. Ok. That's it. Well, Korean music, as some of you know, is awesome. BTS, EXO, Blackpink, ect. are some you know very well, but I encourage ya'll to listen to AKMU. They're extremely underrated, and have REALLY GOOD VOICES.

If you want any other Korean stationery links, any Korean clothes links, any Korean foods to try, or any Korean drama or movie suggestions, please connect with me. I'm an Tumblr, Fanfiction. com, and Quora with the same username, 451booksunderthestars. On Wattpad, the username is booksunderstars.

PLEASE TRY AT LEAST ONE OF THOSE KOREAN DRAMAS AND TELL ME YOU LIKE THEM!!!

Ok, done with my KOREA IS AWESOME rant.

I love you all. If any of you are impatiently waiting for my stories, sorry! I am on a bit of a holdup, but I will try to update soon. THANKS GUYS!!!

-451booksunderthestars

Charlie_Lupin

I'm Korean, but I have lived in America all my life. The best thing about Korea is the stationery, the clothes, the food, and the dramas.

1. Korea. Has. The. Cutest. Stationery. Ever. Ok, maybe it competes with Japanese stationery, but nevertheless, it's always so fun to go shopping there. They have the best paper, pencils, ink, journals, sketchbooks, pens, pencil cases, cards, letter-writing things, yeah, you get my drift. Just look at this link, https://notebooktherapy.com/ , and tell me that that it does not have the cutest things EVER.

2. Cloths. Wow. Lemme tell ya, children, KOREANS. DRESS. WELL. Whether it's winter, spring, summer, fall, whether it's sweatshirts, sweaters, shirts, jeans, leggings, socks, shoes, coats, ect. They have an eye for style.

3. FOOD. OH. MY. GOSH. Korean food is the best. Tondak, kimchi, bulgogi, sulangtang, dejigogi, everything is MOUTHWATERING. All of ya'll have to try it!

4. Korean dramas. YES. PLEASE. I have grown up watching Korean dramas my entire life, whether it is set in Korea centuries ago or in modern day Korean. I'm an incurable romantic, and Korean dramas have the best romances EVER. Please let me make some reccommendations!!! Most of these are on Netflix.com, Viki.com, or OnDemandKorea.com. Anyways, please try watching one of them. Seriously, just watch through subtitles.

-My Love From The Stars: WOW. I loved this one. Both of the leads are GORGEOUS, and yes, it's the tiniest bit sci-fi, but there's not a lot of that. Just get over the first episode, and it's super funny and cute.

-Goblin: The Great And Lonely God: Ok, if you are religious, you might not like this thing. If you aren't religious, you might not like this thing. My family is religious, ( Shoutout to my Christian friends who are enduring through this corona situation, and to those who aren't Christian ) but we were ok with watching it. Nevertheless, it pictures God as a cruel and merciless butterfly. Ludricrous, yes, but the romance is OH SO GOOD, and the second leads are amazing. Anyways, just get over the first episode, and it's OK. It's a bit gory, but most of ya'll should be ok with that.

-Chicago Typewriter: This is one of my personal favorite. Yes, it might not be flattering at all to some of ya'll when the male lead is kinda bald, but. just. trust. me. on. this. It has a lot of ideas about "the next life" which is not heaven, it's where people are reborn into the same world after death. This is a bit gory on this, but I love it.

There's also a bit of history around this: before and during World War Two, there was a time when the Japanese colonized the country of Korea. In that time, Korea was not a free country, and its history was wiped away by the Japanese. The Korean language was forbidden and only the Japanese language was allowed, Korean books were burned, and Korean names were replaced with Japanese names. The Korean king became a puppet king to Japanese officials, and Japanese soldiers were stationed everywhere. But I am proud to say that many were brave enough to stand up and begin a Resistance. This began in many ways: Korean dictionaries started to secretly print, Koreans who were hired by the Japanese became spies, and people, including women ( YASSS, WOMEN ARE THE BOSSES ) started to raid Japanese headquarters. But it was a bloody, gory period in Korea. Thousands were killed for just wanting to be a free country, and to this day, the Japanese are both too ashamed and proud to admit that the whole darn thing ever happened. They refuse to admit that they tortured anyone who resisted for hours and hours, refusing to hand them over to Death, so that they would suffer more and the chances of them betraying secrets for their own wellbeing would increase. The Japanese refuse to teach this to their children, and even in Korea's government today, there's a lot of tension between Korean and Japan.

Anyways, it's set in both that period and the modern world. Complicated, but you'll get it.

-Mr. Sunshine: THIS ONE IS PURE GOLD. One of my other favorites. It's set in the World War Two setting of Chicago Typewriter. Five main characters, and I honestly can't choose which one is my favorite. Basically, it's a girl that has been overprotected by her grandfather because of the tragic and bloody deaths of her parents. She wants to be more aware of the changes going on outside her home, and wants to fight in the Resistance. Please please please tell me who you ship in this drama. It will be a fun convo.

5. Ok. That's it. Well, Korean music, as some of you know, is awesome. BTS, EXO, Blackpink, ect. are some you know very well, but I encourage ya'll to listen to AKMU. They're extremely underrated, and have REALLY GOOD VOICES.

If you want any other Korean stationery links, any Korean clothes links, any Korean foods to try, or any Korean drama or movie suggestions, please connect with me. I'm an Tumblr, Fanfiction. com, and Quora with the same username, 451booksunderthestars. On Wattpad, the username is booksunderstars.

PLEASE TRY AT LEAST ONE OF THOSE KOREAN DRAMAS AND TELL ME YOU LIKE THEM!!!

Ok, done with my KOREA IS AWESOME rant.

I love you all. If any of you are impatiently waiting for my stories, sorry! I am on a bit of a holdup, but I will try to update soon. THANKS GUYS!!!

-451booksunderthestars
Korean food is the best! I love it! I never been there since I was adopted in Russia but I am Korean and was adopted at 21 months, so not a lot of memory.

Oh my gosh, that's so cool! My parents immigrated to Georgia in the US in 2000, six years before I was born, and then after my sister and I were born and I turned two, we moved to North Carolina. Yay. Suburbs. Fun.

It's not so bad. It's ok. Meh.

Eren2019

"They refuse to admit that they tortured anyone who resisted for hours and hours, refusing to hand them over to Death, so that they would suffer more and the chances of them betraying secrets for their own wellbeing would increase. The Japanese refuse to teach this to their children, and even in Korea's government today, there's a lot of tension between Korean and Japan."

Stupid old male Japanese politicians were as you commented. Sad.

However, citizens learn how stupid they were and colonized and hurt Korean people in their history classes.

The problem is who have good mind cannot be politicians in Japan, because they don't have money. Since the bad people bought nuclear plant from the U.S. the country, you know, has been contaminated although they suffered from the two atomic bombs including Korean victims in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.