Backstories

Kamiccola

As part of writing my epic fanfic, I developed a backstory of the antagonist. The story was so cool, I decided to turn it into a book.

I wholeheartedly recommend to do it this way, btw. Writing the full story allowed me to spot plot holes and shed light on opportunities I wouldn’t have thought of otherwise.

And so now I have a backstory to go with my fanfic. But should I post it on this site?
Only one scene in chapter 7 takes place at Hogwarts. The rest of the story is mythology-inspired.
I don’t think it can be considered a Harry Potter fanfiction.

I don’t know. Maybe I’ll just add it at the end of my fanfic as extra reading for whoever is interested. I don’t think anyone other than the fans of my fanfic would read it on this site.

What do you all think? Is this site a place for backstories that are not HP fanfiction?

I agree about backstories. A lot of my short stories and one-shots are really just backstories. I wrote an original character (Fenella Gray) into Grave Days, and realised I needed to know more about her. The background became "Summer of '97" (In "Creevey Tales"). I needed a wife for Dennis Creevey in "Strangers at Drakeshaugh" and so the "Dennis" story arrived in "Creevey Tales".

If your story is about an antagonist, and set in the HP universe, then it's HP fanfiction.

-N-

Kamiccola

I needed a wife for Dennis Creevey in "Strangers at Drakeshaugh" and so the "Dennis" story arrived in "Creevey Tales".

If your story is about an antagonist, and set in the HP universe, then it's HP fanfiction.

-N-
You're convincing me to check out those Creevey tales.

Back to my backstory, anyone expecting HP fanfiction would be very much confused when they land on it because it's not even a story about magic. It's a mythic fantasy about a goddess and it spans over a few centuries. The setting is in the Scottish Highlands and it's a world that exists within my expanded HP universe (not JKR Potterverse but it doesn't contradict it). Out of 15,000 words, there is only one scene that takes place at Hogwarts. I think I'll stick with the idea to put it at the end of the book.

All my stories take place in the same future timeline (one I started before Cursed Child existed). In a way, a lot of my short stories are attempts at characterisation for bit players in the main stories. Tales of the Battle is nothing more than me attempting to get a handle on various second and third tier characters, and to create a few original characters. I find the technique useful. I don't know whether you would.

JMilz

Head of Ravenclaw House
I really love adding to whatever world or storyline I created. Even in the form of a one-shot or something short, it can add a little something that didn't have so much backstory before.

Obviously, it can sometimes remove from the mystery, so it's good to keep an editor's eye on it, but for epics, it's a really good idea.