5 Day Writing Class Advertisement

YaYaGoddess

I'm trying to read and/or write and after a few seconds, that full page ad is covering my screen and the X is missing to close it so I am unable to continue reading/writing. I have to shut my browser tab, re-enter, and just start over every minute or two. Very frustrating.

I do not see why that ad has to keep popping up.. If we are interested in taking that writing course, we can click on the small banner at the top of the browser screen. It's just so annoying.

Blue Kat

I've run into that issue, too. I get it from an advertising perspective, but it would be nice if there was a "dismiss message" option or something, especially if we're logged in. I have a similar issue with the "Sign up for our mailing list" button that keeps moving--I've already signed up and the box moving is often distracting when I'm trying to use the site because my eye is like "AHHHH! MOVEMENT! Oh wait. Never mind." Again, I totally get why that choice was made, but some control over those messages would be super helpful and definitely improve my experience on the site.

Ronnie Deaver

HPFF Logistical CoFounder
Staff member
Hey guys, thanks for reporting this issue - I've been having this conversation over on twitter but forgot that information doesn't just instantly cross platforms like that to inform everyone here.

This issue has since been resolved with the following three actions:
  1. A no thanks button has been added to the popup
  2. The "X" button was made visible.. it was actually always there, I just accidentally had it set to be the same color as the background, effectively rendering it invisible [Doh]
  3. The popup is set to not popup again for at least seven days after you dismiss it
In a previous fix, we also set it to never popup while you're writing, so as to never interrupt writers during their flow :]

Thanks guys for the feedback, we really appreciate it.

Finding that balance between advertising and user experience is difficult. We're hoping that as we grow and succeed with our monetization efforts through an upcoming paid writing course, that we'll be able to more seamlessly blend in the advertising experience without disrupting the user experience as much.

With success comes the ability to innovate on the entire user experience and our ability to scale as a business alongside it.

We're thrilled to take on that challenge and feedback like this helps guide us on our path.

Thanks so much for being a part of our community and for caring about what we're all building together.

Cheers,
-Ronnie

Blue Kat

Hey guys, thanks for reporting this issue - I've been having this conversation over on twitter but forgot that information doesn't just instantly cross platforms like that to inform everyone here.

This issue has since been resolved with the following three actions:
  1. A no thanks button has been added to the popup
  2. The "X" button was made visible.. it was actually always there, I just accidentally had it set to be the same color as the background, effectively rendering it invisible [Doh]
  3. The popup is set to not popup again for at least seven days after you dismiss it
In a previous fix, we also set it to never popup while you're writing, so as to never interrupt writers during their flow :]

Thanks guys for the feedback, we really appreciate it.

Finding that balance between advertising and user experience is difficult. We're hoping that as we grow and succeed with our monetization efforts through an upcoming paid writing course, that we'll be able to more seamlessly blend in the advertising experience without disrupting the user experience as much.

With success comes the ability to innovate on the entire user experience and our ability to scale as a business alongside it.

We're thrilled to take on that challenge and feedback like this helps guide us on our path.

Thanks so much for being a part of our community and for caring about what we're all building together.

Cheers,
-Ronnie
Thanks, Ronnie, I appreciate the detailed and prompt response! You do really great work and I've been very impressed with how the site has changed and improved since the relaunch. Thank you for all your time and efforts.

Ronnie Deaver

Staff member
Thanks, Ronnie, I appreciate the detailed and prompt response! You do really great work and I've been very impressed with how the site has changed and improved since the relaunch. Thank you for all your time and efforts.
Thank you for the kind words of support! There's still so much left to do and I'm thrilled to have a community that cares about the work we do.

Please keep sending feedback our way! We're working on a product board now so everyone can stay informed on what we're working on next.

A pre-emptive version is posted in the Headmaster's Office.
-R

Ronnie Deaver

Staff member
In fact, it has popped up and covered my screen four times since my last post 28 minutes ago while editing.
Hmm, that seems very strange. Can you send over any screenshots?

You can also try clearing your browser cache to make sure you have the most updated version of teh website.

-Ronnie